tips and tricks for the best spray tan
The perfect tan doesn’t come without proper care before and after application.
Here are the 4 most important rules when preparing for a spray tan. Follow these for the best results and a longer lasting, beautiful spray tan.
Exfoliating prior to a tan is super important! Use an oil free scrub, body wash and/or loofah. This will help to avoid left over residue on dry and dead skin which can affect the tan outcome. It is best to exfoliate and shave 18-24 hrs before your sunless tanning session.
- Removes dead skin cells allowing new cells to absorb color
- Smoothes top layer of skin for flawless spray tan application
- Stimulates blood flow helping to promote cell generation
Always take the recommendation of a technician and don’t shower to early. Showering prior to the recommended development time will increase the chances of washing the solution off before it is fully absorbed into the skin.
What to do while solution is developing:
- Avoid all contact with sweat or water, until your designated shower time.
- Wear dark and loose fitting clothing to avoid transfer and rub off.
- If sleeping in solution, long pants and top are recommended. Dark bedding is also ideal.
- Refrain from touching or scratching surfaces that have had solution applied.
Hydration is key to a long lasting spray tan. Be sure you stay hydrated inside and out. Drink plenty of water and use a moisturizing lotion 1-2 times per day.
Using a Tan Extender lotion at lease once a day will improve the longevity of your spray tan. Tan Extending lotion contains a trace amount of DHA which will not only moisturize the skin but also provides a small amount of gradual tan to keep your skin looking flawless.
Moisturizing is a crucial component when preparing and maintaining a flawless spray tan. Moisturize 18-24 hours prior to your spray tan session, especially after exfoliation. This will help to strengthen the skin and allow for the tan to last longer and fade evenly.
Product usage is extremely important in maintaining a long lasting tan. Be sure you are using proper daily products in your daily maintenance regimen. (Moisturizers, washes, cleansers, creams, etc)
Your products should be:
- Paraben free
- Contain zero or minimal sulfates, alcohols, or other harsh and acidic ingredients
- Provide moisture without excessive oils that will strip the tan, water based is ideal
- Contain minimal added fragrance
- Exclude mineral oil and petroleum byproducts
All of these tips will help to ensure that your spray tan turns out absolutely stunning!
- Avoid contact with chlorine
- Pat dry rather than rubbing after showers or swimming
- Avoid pedicure services as this will exfoliate and remove your tan causing premature fading
- Shaving is another form of exfoliating, be sure to do so prior to your sunless session. If its necessary, try to shave lightly with a new razor. Shaving cream/gel is not recommended.